January 6, 2008
I’ve started working on making ClockingIT a lot more customizable, as it’s too rigid and geared towards software development at the moment.
Giving you control over the task types, as well as making most attributes / fields of a task customizable would give you a lot of flexibility for how you work. Adding a flexible and customizable workflow would really give you a system where you can work exactly like you want.
My local development branch (living in a git branch at the moment) is moving along nicely, and I’ve got support for custom task types, custom text fields and select boxes. I’ve still got loads to do before this is anywhere near done, but it’s coming along nicely.
The hardest part will be to integrate all of this flexibility into the browsing/filtering/views while not making the interface overly complicated and making sure I don’t forget any hardcoded properties from before this big change.
Another challenge will be to make the admin interface for all of this, and keep it simple enough to use. I’ll also have to provide project templates now, as configuring a new project take a lot longer than before if you have to start from scratch each time.
I’m also a tiny bit concerned about increased rendering time, as I need to do more database lookups per task than before, but by introducing caching again it should end up being faster than it currently is.
January 4, 2008
I’ve been trying git locally for the past few weeks, and I must say I’ve grown quite fond of the easy branching and stellar merging. As ClockingIT doesn’t run on Windows anyways, I guess there’s not much stopping me from switching from darcs to git.